By: Annabelle Clarke
May 10, 2021
The tramadol dosage schedule is one aspect that contributes to an effective, side-effects free treatment experience. With this schedule, patients can take the same dose every day. It is also recommended that this dose is taken at the same time, as it ensures patients will not forget it. A safe dosage is determined based on the patient’s needs and condition. It also differs due to the medication’s two forms. This is because of its onset time of analgesic effect. However, a standard regimen can be deduced.
For patients who do not need a rapid onset of analgesic effect, the tolerability of tramadol fast-acting tablets can be improved by starting the medication with the drug titration method:
- The medication can be titrated at 25 mg a day taken four times a day. After three days, the total dose may be increased to 50mg, taken four times a day.
- When patients are sure of their reaction to the medication, they can take tramadol 50 mg or 100mg as needed every four to six hours. The dose should not exceed 400mg a day.
However, for patients who need immediate relief, the fast-acting tablet can be taken in 50mg or 100mg doses every four to six hours, not exceeding 400mg a day. This must be done under strict guidelines to avoid discontinuation due to adverse effects. On the other hand, the extended-release tablets are usually started on a 100 mg dose, taken once a day. The dose can be increased by 100 mg every five days by a healthcare provider. The maximum dosage is 300 mg a day. Elderly patients should not alter their tramadol dosage if possible.
How To Take Tramadol
Taking the correct form and dose of tramadol is vital in reducing the feeling of pain. As with any painkiller, specific instructions should be noted to ensure patients have a safe and therapeutic experience. These instructions also assist patients in receiving all the benefits of the medication.
The pill should be taken according to the following:
- The tablet may be taken with or without food. However, the choice should remain the same with all doses to avoid nausea.
- Do not use the medication concurrently with other opioid-containing medications, certain herbal formulations and benzodiazepines.
- Tramadol should not be crushed, split or snorted. This can result in excess of the substance in the body, increasing the risk of dependence and addiction.
- If patients require a rapid effect, the medication should be taken as soon as the pain is felt. If it is taken after this, the tablet may not work as effectively.
- The use of illicit substances and alcohol-containing drinks should not be used in conjunction with this medication.
- When users have reached the end of their tramadol dosage regimen, a weaning off routine should be followed. This allows them to safely come off the medication without severe withdrawal symptoms.
If patients miss a dose of the medication, it can be taken as soon as they remember. The dose should be skipped if it is close to the next scheduled dose. This does not apply to patients who take the tablet on an as-needed basis.
How Many Tramadol Is Safe to Take?
As with all painkillers, this tablet also has a limit to its intake. Overmedication can cause various problems, such as substance use disorders and addictions, dangerous interactions, and overdose. This can also result in high medication costs. For immediate-release tablets, the maximum dosage daily is 400 mg, while for extended-release tablets, the maximum dosage to be taken daily is 300 mg. Taking excess amounts of the substance may lead to negative effects such as accidental overdose. The risk of tramadol side effects is also increased when the medication is not taken accordingly.
Patients are at risk of the following overdose symptoms if they do not follow dosage recommendations:
- Trouble breathing
- Dizziness when standing
- Nausea and vomiting
- Unconscious and coma
How To Wean Off Tramadol
When discontinuing the medication, patients are advised not to quit ‘cold turkey’. This refers to stopping the use of the tablet suddenly. Patients are prone to severe withdrawal symptoms for a longer period when quitting in this manner. Therefore, they must wean off the medication, which is the gradual limiting of the substance. Patients who have a short tramadol dosage have their doses reduced by a short amount daily, whereas long-term users have their doses reduced slower each week.
This is due to the accumulated amount of the substance in the system, which require a longer period of detox. The timeline for weaning off this medication can vary, based on aspects such as the amount of medication taken and the duration of the treatment. The schedule should be monitored closely to ensure that patients are safe and comfortable throughout the process. When patients stop using this tablet, it can also cause an imbalance in the brain due to its serotonergic effects. This can cause additional withdrawal symptoms.
However, patients can follow dietary guidelines to ease these symptoms:
- Include proteins in daily meals, such as chicken and fish.
- Focus on organic foods.
- Reduce the intake of sugar, alcohol, nicotine and processed foods.
- Consume healthy fats such as sunflower seeds and avocados.
Best Tramadol Dose
Tramadol is available in a variety of strengths: 25 mg, 50 mg, 75 mg and 100 mg. This number refers to the amount of the active ingredient present in each tablet. It is usually stated after the name of the medication for patients to see which strength they are buying. The availability of these strengths allows patients to find their best tramadol dosage schedule, as this guides their doses. There is no standard dose that is considered the best, as it may not work for certain conditions with intense pain. One dose will not affect two patients in the same manner.
However, in an article reviewing various medication strengths, it was shown that tramadol 100 mg was the optimal single dose for acute pain. The 50 mg dose showed similar pain relief compared to 60 mg of codeine. By having the choice of many strengths, patients who buy tramadol online in the UK can effectively find the most best dose for them.
Remember, as well as strong painkillers, we also stock a variety of anti-anxiety medication and sleeping pills in the UK at www.cheapsleepingtablets.com – without a doctor’s prescription!
More Product Information:
- What is Tramadol?
- How Does Tramadol Work?
- Tramadol Side Effects
Don’t forget to leave a comment and star rating in the section below!