By: Annabelle Clarke
Apr 14, 2021
Alprazolam is the generic name of the popular brand of anti-anxiety medication known as Xanax. This therapeutic was first marketed by the pharmaceutical company, Upjohn Pharmaceuticals, which is now a part of the Pfizer pharmaceutical team.
Xanax pills were initially created for use as a sleep aid and a muscle relaxant. However, over the course of time, the primary use of the pharmaceutical changed as researchers found that the therapeutic was able to treat panic disorders. In clinical studies, it was discovered that this medication has a greater efficacy and lower toxicity than other medicines that are used to treat severe anxiety.
The release of the Xanax anxiety medication on the pharmaceutical market came at a time when the need for psychiatric therapeutics was on the rise. This led to this medication becoming one of the most widely prescribed ant-anxiety medicines in the world. Every year, tens of millions of prescriptions are recorded for these tablets, for the treatment of panic disorders and other similar conditions.
In 2004 there were approximately 18 million prescriptions recorded. This statistic has grown to more than 25 million prescriptions, as of 2017. This is generally the result of the ease and convenience of online services for the retailing of medicinal products. Many people now buy their prescription medications from e-commerce pharmacies rather than via the traditional route.
What Does Xanax Do?
Xanax is categorised as a benzodiazepine. This class of medications was first isolated in 1955, as a safer and more efficacious solution than the previous generation group of anti-anxiety and sleep medicines, barbiturates. Benzodiazepines are substances which bring about a depression of the central nervous system (CNS) by influencing the activity of the chief neurotransmitter, gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA).
GABA is the main neurotransmitter in the CNS and its principle role is to reduce neuron excitability. By acting on GABA receptors, located throughout the CNS, the inhibitory activity of GABA can be enhanced, essentially creating feelings of calmness and relaxation.
This is particularly beneficial in the treatment of panic disorder which involves recurring and unpredictable panic attacks. When a panic attack sets in, a patient generally experiences an intense surge of fear. In fact, a recent study found that when people experience panic attacks, the areas of the brain responsible for the ‘fight or flight’ response are activated.
Researchers are unaware of exactly what triggers this disorder. However, some have suggested that the physical signs of a panic attack are sometimes evident long before the actual panic episode occurs. Xanax anti-anxiety medication works quickly to help calm the person by potentiating the inhibitory effects of GABA.
What Does Xanax Feel Like?
If you take Xanax to treat anxiety, the symptoms of nervousness will likely be alleviated after the initial dose. The way you react to this anti-anxiety medication and how you experience the effects is, however, an individualised response. This response has to do with:
- Your age
- Your gender
- Your body weight
- Your mental state at the time the medicine is taken
- Your metabolism
- The dosage you are using
The Xanax effects which are predominant often make people feel:
- Calm, quiet and relaxed: as the medication causes a depression of the CNS, the associated feelings of this action include relaxation and calmness. This is one of the most prevalent feelings amongst those who use the therapeutic.
- Sleepy: Xanax dosages can make one feel excessively sleepy, this may in part be due to the depression of the CNS. Higher doses of the medicine will result in more pronounced feelings of sleepiness.
- Euphoric: those using the medicine for recreational purposes can typically feel a sense of euphoria. Using the medication in recreational settings is not advised and can, in some cases, lead to memory loss and other unfavourable Xanax side effects.
What is Xanax Used For?
The medicine can be used for:
- Generalised anxiety disorder (GAD) – this anxiety disorder occurs in the long term and those who have symptoms are generally anxious about a range of issues, rather than one specific problem. In any given year, GAD for instance affects 3.1% of the adult population in the United States.
The highest risk of this disorder occurs between childhood and middle age but the condition can begin at any point in one’s life. This benzodiazepine has been proven effective for generalised anxiety disorder in dosages between 0.25 mg and 3 mg per day. Clinical evidence has shown that this therapeutic is effective for this condition for up to 4 months.
- Panic disorders – the benefits of alprazolam for treating panic attacks are limited to 4 to 10 weeks of treatment. However, some patients have experienced relief from panic attack symptoms for up to 8 months, without any apparent loss of benefit. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approves the use of this medication for the treatment of panic disorders, with or with agoraphobia (the fear of places or events leading to panic).
- Nausea (as a result of chemotherapy) – this medication can be used, in conjunction with other therapeutics, for the management of nausea symptoms associated with chemotherapy.
Xanax for Sleep
Benzodiazepines are frequently used for the management of sleep disorders. Their potent relaxation effects on the mind and body is generally accompanied by a relaxation of the muscles, this therefore makes them useful as a sleep aid. Although this therapeutic may be useful for reducing the time to sleep onset, it is not recommended for those who have issues with sleep apnoea.
It is thought that between 30% and 48% of adults experience insomnia at some stage in their lives. Women are as much as 40% more at risk for developing these conditions. Xanax pills can be used to induce sleep and has been shown to significantly reduce sleep latency. This refers to the amount of time it takes to initiate sleep at the start of the night.
In medical research, Xanax has also been found to be effective in the treatment of sleep maintenance insomnia. This condition is characterised by nighttime awakenings with difficulty recommencing sleep. The result is a fragmented sleep pattern which typically leads to excessive daytime sleepiness, so treatment is often recommended. If you have issues with sleep disturbances, you can buy Xanax online and get the rest you require, with the convenience of online shopping.
As well as medication to treat anxiety we also stock a wide range of sleeping pills and painkillers at www.cheapsleepingtabletsonline.com!
- How Does Xanax Work?
- Available Xanax Dosage (s)
- Xanax Side Effects
Don’t forget to leave a comment and star rating below!