Zolpidem Dosage Instructions
By: Annabelle Clarke
Mar 08, 2021
Zolpidem tablets should be used at the lowest possible dosage for the shortest amount of time. The following guidelines can be used for administration of the medication:
- Swallow the tablets in whole form without chewing or crushing, as this will ensure that the efficacy of the sedative will not be affected. Furthermore, crushing or chewing the tablet may release the active ingredient all at once, which can increase the chance of side effects.
- You should take zolpidem 10 mg with a full glass of water. This will allow the therapeutic to reach the stomach quickly and as intended, so that the therapeutic benefits may be experienced. Drinking sufficient water will also minimise the risk of zolpidem side effects.
- The sublingual formulations of the sleeping tablet do not have to be ingested with a drink of water as these are placed under the tongue to be dissolved.
- This sedative should not be taken with food. It is preferable if the medication is administered before a meal or a significant while after a meal as this will enable the therapeutic to work quicker.
- You should administer the hypnotic as soon as you intend to go to sleep as it can take effect rather quickly.
- The elderly and those with renal or liver impairments, according to medical sources, should use lower doses of these tablets as they are at a greater risk of adverse effects
Zolpidem Dosage Strengths
The different strengths of this sedative indicate the amount of active ingredient, zolpidem tartrate, formulated in the medication. Zolpidem is generally available in 5 mg and 10 mg pills:
- There are immediate-release and extended-release tablets. Zolpidem 5 mg is the initial dosage for women when using the immediate-release form of this sedative. For men, this dosage can be increased to 10 mg.
- The lower dosage sublingual tablets are appropriate for middle-of-the night awakenings when there are only a few hours of sleep required. Those seeking greater relief, may nonetheless, incrementally increase their dosage and evaluate their bodily responses at the same time.
Zolpidem (brand name, Ambien) should not be used in cases where the patient is allergic to the medication. Allergies can be identified by a rash on the skin, hives and swelling to the eyes, lips or tongue, amongst others. In the event of breathing difficulties when using this sedative, you should contact emergency services immediately.
This disorder is characterised by breathing difficulties during sleep and can be potentially serious. It is more common in men than women and some of the risk factors can include both obesity and age as well. It is not advised to use zolpidem tablets if you have sleep apnoea as the effects of the medication can worsen the symptoms of this sleep disorder.
Myasthenia gravis is a weakness of the muscles due to a communication problem between the muscles and nerve cells. The symptoms of disorder can range from mild to severe but this condition is often worsened after periods of activity. Zolpidem 10 mg is not recommended for those with myasthenia gravis as the medication can exacerbate the symptoms of this neuromuscular disease.
Low Dose Zolpidem
- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approves the use of the lower dosage zolpidem sleeping tablets for frequent or occasional nightly disturbances. These sublingual tablets should be used once a night and in a situation where you have at least four hours to sleep before you have to awaken in the morning.
- The FDA also lowered the previously advised dosages of this sedative for women after studies showed that women were more prone to side effects than men. The previously recommended dosages were 10mg of the immediate-release sedative and 10 mg of the extended-release formulation, both of which were halved for females in attempt to reduce the residual effects of the therapeutic.
- Zolpidem 5 mg can also be used as the starting dosage for the elderly when treatment is initialised. This can be increased there is inadequate relief of sleep disturbances. If the medication is not well-tolerated at this dosage, treatment can be changed and the dosage lowered.
Can I Take Zolpidem Every Night?
- Like most sedatives and hypnotics, zolpidem sleeping pills are not intended for long-term use according to medical literature. You can, however, take a single dose of this medication once a night for up to six weeks. It should not be administered as a second dosage, except in the case where you have middle-of-the-night awakenings and are using low dose zolpidem tartrate to manage these disturbances.
- Using this sedative for treatment periods longer than what is recommended places you at risk for developing tolerance to the medication. This means that you would have to continually increase the dosage so as to experience the same therapeutic effects. It is always advisable to use any medication at the recommended dosage and for the specified duration to prevent this type of risk.
- Dependence is also a concern when using too much of this sleeping tablet. This is when your body becomes dependent on the therapeutic and withdrawal symptoms can set in when treatment persists.
- You should use this medication exactly as directly to attain the relief you require.
- Information pertaining to this medicine and proper use thereof is available when you buy zolpidem through our reputable pharmacy, which is dedicated to providing safe, scientifically effective medications at low prices.
Read More Useful Information About Zolpidem Here:
- What is Zolpidem?
- How Does Zolpidem Work?
- Possible Zolpidem Side Effects
Alternatively you may visit https://www.cheapsleepingtabletsonline.com/ to check out the full range of sleeping pills, anxiety medication and painkiller medication available.
In addition, our knowledgeable customer care team are available 24 hours to assist with answers to questions that you cannot find on our website – simply use our contact form, or call us directly using the number on our contact page.
Don’t forget to leave a star rating and a comment for our author, Annabelle, if you found this information helpful!